Monday, March 2, 2009

THIS IS WHAT I MOVED UP FROM THE CITY FOR

I am a transplant from New York City. I loved growing up in the city. I never really noticed how fast paced everything was and was quite used to it. I loved the excitement, the way the city never really slept as you could always find something open and still jumping at 3am. But there was a part of me that kept nurturing a memory I had as a young girl when my parents took us on a trip to the Pennsylvania Dutch country. We stayed at what was called a "Guest House", which was someones home that had two bedrooms set aside for travelers. I can remember it like it was yesterday(more yesterdays than I will admit to). The house smelled like a lot of good cooking. There were comfortable couches, pretty antiques, and the old spring bed with a feather mattress was a touch of heaven. The woman who owned the house and was our host was friendly and made us feel very much at home. After a wonderful nights sleep I awoke to the best breakfast I have ever enjoyed. Everything was home made down to the butter. I remember thinking the whole time I was there, "this is what I want to do".

I finally got that chance in 1984. I moved from New York City and opened a Bed & Breakfast and antique shop in Andes New York. Not many people get to live their dream and I am very grateful to have had that experience. I loved being able to be home for my children and be able to work right there as well. Everyone will think of pros and cons to working at home but for me at the time it was great.

So now I have gotten a listing which will enable someone to do the same thing. The featured listing is a five bedroom Victorian in the village of Accord. The wonderful home has a building right next to it which houses the owners antique store. The first time I went to see it wonderful memories of my shop and home came back to me.

This is a home that needs some renovating. The thing I liked about renovating the building I bought is that I could put my own footprint there. This home and business is very similar. The shop is detached from the home and has its own electric and heat. There is an antique shop across the street that is run by a friend of mine and one out on route 209 that is also run by another friend of mine. There is a pottery studio across the street as well. I can see this home and shop and the other shops becoming a destination for shopping for unique and wonderful fare.

The virtual tour will be done shortly but do not wait. If you have a dream, come see our listing, see if it fits. I can tell you it is worth the trip.

No comments: